There’s been a phrase floating around for the past couple years now but I’ve been hearing it pop up a lot more frequently lately. That phrase is OT vs IT.
This phrase is actually very common in the industrial/SCADA space but if you’re in the BAS world it may leave you scratching your head.
- What exactly is OT?
- What does it have to do with IT?
- And how does it affect you?
If you’ve been plagued by these questions then this episode is definitely for you. By the end of this episode, you’ll know exactly what OT is, what it has to do with you, and how you can implement OT if you so choose. Let’s dive in!
What is OT?
OT is the latest in a series of terms being used to position technology as a solution to one of the largest problems BAS professionals face, dealing with IT!
But what is OT and how does it work? I address those exact questions in this episode. In this episode you’ll learn:
- What is OT and why does it matter to you? (7:23)
- Old vs new – How OT is solving IT problems (8:41)
- What’s in it for me? – How OT is benefiting BAS professionals (11:35)
- Buyer beware – The hidden dangers of implementing OT (12:52)
- The eight-step OT implementation process that you absolutely must follow (26:00)
How do you implement an OT system?
So how do you implement an OT system?
- Step 1: Understand the reason why you’re doing this
- Step 2: Decide what level of OT do you want? Do you want to just branch off an existing IT network? Or completely stand alone?
- Step 3: Layout all of your needs
- Step 4: Prioritize your needs and size out your OT vision
- Step 5: Engage an expert and your IT group to design a budget
- Step 6: Plan out your service and support model
- Step 7: Finalize funding for your design
- Step 8: Implement your plan
Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- Building Automation Monthly Online Courses
- Building Automation Systems A to Z: The Guide to BAS
- Information Technology for BAS Professionals
The Only Online IT Boot Camp for BAS Pros by BAS Pros
Throughout this episode, I discussed several IT concepts.
Some of you may have left this episode feeling a little bit overwhelmed. There just seems to be so much to learn about IT, how could you possibly learn everything you need to know? That’s why I created Information Technology for BAS Professionals (or as I like to call it, IT for BAS Pros). IT for BAS Pros is an accelerated, fully online IT training program that focuses in on only the topics you need to know about IT.
This course is perfect for sales professionals, technicians, operators, and specifiers. There is nothing else like IT for BAS Pros on the market and right now it is open for enrollment. Click on the image below to learn more.