One of the most important parts of having a successful building automation career is having a career plan.
As the old saying goes, if you don’t know where you’re going any road will get you there. And often that’s how we approach our building automation careers.
This has become an even bigger problem with all of the new technology that is entering the industry. We need to have a plan in order to avoid being overwhelmed and learning things that will not advance our careers.
In this episode I take you through the exact nine-step process I used and continue to use to have a massively successful career in building automation.
Create a path to a successful building automation career
In this episode, I layout 9 steps for how to create a successful building automation learning plan.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
- Where am I at? – The importance of determining your starting point (1:03)
- Is this even fun… – Why you must consider what you like to do BEFORE you do it (10:22)
- One of these things is not like the other… – How to identify the themes of likes and dislikes throughout your career (12:06)
- The mythical unicorn job…- What you can do to find the BAS role you love (13:14)
- Can I ask you a question?- What to do, to find and avoid manual overrides (15:47)
- The chasm is wide… – Why you need to identify your skill set gap before you select training (17:10)
- Plan your Plan – How to create a training plan that will work (18:10)
- Execution is everything…- The steps you need to take to avoid failing (26:55)
- What gets measured, gets done – Why you must create a feedback loop (and how to do it) (27:20)
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Building Automation Fundamentals Online Course
- ASHRAE Expo Building Automation 101 Session (I’d love to meet you!)
- Smart Building Conference
Download the free planning workbook below