Have you ever wired up a BACnet MS/TP trunk and it just wouldn’t work?Or for whatever reason the MS/TP trunk was crazy slow, and the customer was getting upset by slow point data?
If this sounds familiar you’re not alone. Early in my career BACnet MS/TP was super confusing. I didn’t know how to make sense of it. And learning BACnet MS/TP was made even more difficult by the lack of knowledge about MS/TP that was available.
That’s why in this episode we are going to dive into BACnet MS/TP. By the time you finish this episode you will:
- Understand the top issues that can cause your BACnet MS/TP trunks to fail
- What the most important BACnet MS/TP settings are and why you should care
- My five-step process to ensure that your BACnet MS/TP integrations go flawlessly
- The most common problems with MS/TP and how you can easily troubleshoot them.
Listen to the episode below.
- What makes up BACnet MS/TP (1:50)
- How daisy-chains make BACnet MS/TP work (3:55)
- Why manufacturers have different device limits (4:30)
- The secret of the MS/TP token (5:30)
- The single most misconfigured MS/TP setting (7:15)
- How MS/TP is addressed and why it matters (8:15)
- State machines and tokens (10:30)
- How your device Masters MS/TP (12:45)
- Ending your MS/TP trunks (15:40)
- How to integrate new BACnet MS/TP devices (17:05)
- Solving problems with bad MS/TP trunks (22:00)
Resources mentioned in this episode
- BAS Protocol Bootcamp Premium Online Course
- The definitive guide to BACnet
- BAM 116: How BACnet integrations really work part 1